Posts from 2011-01
In advanced computing you may encounter situations where you want to bind multiple IP addresses on one physical network interface. This post describes how to do it with Ubuntu Linux (should work with Debian too).
This method is temporary only as the additional IP address will be gone after...
To automatically install updates on Ubuntu / Debian you can install the package cron-apt:
sudo aptitude install cron-apt
/etc/cron-apt/config you can set up your email address for notifications by setting the value for
The backup of a webserver is not always as straightforward as the backup of your computers at home or just a single website etc. This blog states how I do it.
#!/bin/bash ### set to the server address of your server: serveraddress=example.com ## login as root...
The older approach involves the creation of an ext3 filesystem on
/dev/ram0 (a part of the RAM):
sudo mke2fs -t ext3 -m 0 -q /dev/ram0 sudo mkdir -p /media/ram0 sudo mount /dev/ram0 /media/ram0 sudo chown USERNAME /media/ram0 sudo chmod u+rwx /media/ram0
The newer and easier method to create a ramdisk is to make...
ATTENTION! Do not follow this advice! It is of no use, now that I found the converter for Tags ↔ Categories: Categories to Tags Converter Importer!!!
Sometimes you give posts a tag but realize later it should rather be a category.
What you can do to convert a certain tag –...
Create the file
all-tags.php in the theme folder
<?php /** * Template Name: All Tags * * @package Suffusion * @subpackage Templates */ get_header(); ?> <div id="main-col"> <?php suffusion_page_navigation(); ?> <?php...
LXC (Linux Containers) is an operating system-level virtualization method for running multiple isolated Linux systems (containers) on a single control host. LXC does not provide a virtual machine, but rather provides a virtual environment that has its own process and network space. It is similar to a chroot, but offers...
The script creates two files during the backup process. One that contains all the files in...
Suppose we have the following setup:
- A Computer with Ubuntu installed and two physical network interfaces (might also be virtual, but that's advanced)
- We have an internet connection on this computer set up and working. Internet traffic goes out (and in) on the network interface
- We want to create a private subnet
- AntiRSI. Donationware.
- MacBreakZ. Full version costs 24.95 EUR.
- Time Out Free. It can be found on the Mac App Store. Version 2 Pro (soon to be released) will not be for free.
These Modules are promising (but not all very stable yet):
- User Restrictions. Watch this module, it might be the one of choice in a few weeks for user restrictions. Alternatively ACL with Flexi Access. Per node permissions can be set. Drawback (of either ACL or Flexi...
- Install package geneweb
gwd, the geneweb daemon
sendEmail (supports TLS)
echo "To: email@example.com Subject: Your Subject From: firstname.lastname@example.org testing" | sendmail -t
echo testing | mail -s "Your Subject" email@example.com
If you get an error message like the following when changing the color scheme / color set of the Bartik theme in Drupal 7 you might have PHP Safe Mode enabled.
* The specified file themes/bartik/logo.png could not be copied, because the destination directory is not properly configured. This...
All you have to do is to create a folder for your child theme in
wp-content/themes/ and in there create a
style.css file like this one (Template):
/** * Theme Name: Suffusion modified by Philipp Klaus * Template: suffusion * Description: a customized version...
OCR for Windows
- PenPower Chinese OCR (Chinese product website: http://www.pen-power.com/chinese/chineseocr.html)
OCR for Mac OS
- Readiris Pro Asian (English product website: http://www.irislink.com/c2-1685-189/Readiris-12-for-Mac.aspx)
- IRISPen Express Asian (English product website: http://www.irislink.com/c2-1099-189/IRISPen-Express-Asian---Pen-scanner-for-Asian-text-recognition-.aspx)
- Tesseract 3.0 (free, open source) (install via Homebrew formula tesseract.rb and install the Chinese training data file
The TOC Generator Plugin does not work as it searches for HTML headings before the markup (in my case Markdown) is applied.
Markdown supports the [TOC] tag starting with Markdown version 2.0; untested though. Source: http://thomas.pelletier.im/2010/03/use-markdown-with-wordpress/. http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/mdx_toc contains python source code for this.
More untested solutions include:
purge command clears the inactive memory on Mac OS X. Simply run the command with no parameters:
To make a backup of the saved passwords in Ubuntu just make a backup of the folder
~/.gnome2/keyrings/. This is where Gnome stores its password keyrings (named something like
You can also export all your passwords from the Gnome Keyring using the python module keyring as described in
Go to System → Preferences → Keyboard Shortcuts and set the shortcut for
Hide all normal windows and set focus to desktop to something sane like
Alt + D
update 2011-07-13: This happened again when I used Ubuntu 11.04 inside a NX session on a Mac OS X host computer. :(
Find zombie / defunct processes:
ps -ef | grep -i defunct
sudo ./kill-zombies.sh --admin
where kill-zombies.sh is the following bash script by Markus Gattol:
#! /bin/bash # # Zombie processes killing script. Must be run under root. case "$1" in --admin) ...
Get rid of an additional password prompt after Gnome login to unlock the default keyring when you changed your login password
If you get a password prompt like the following when logging on to Gnome on Ubuntu Linux your login password might differ from your keyring password file (
An application wants access to the keyring 'default' but it is locked.
So to get arround this and have the default keyring...
*#1234# reveals the installed version: PDA: I9000ZSJF7, PHONE: I9000ZSJF7, CSC: I9000ZSJF7
resources as of 11/2011:
- Check the XDA-developer FAQ for the SGS for firmware information.
German (links on android-hilfe.de):