9-pin D-type connector with the following pinout as viewed from the back of the unit (see p. 38 / 34 of the manual):
|2||Tx - Transmit (to computer)|
|3||Rx - Receive (from computer)|
|4||DTR - Connected to pin 6|
|6||DSR - connected to pin 4|
|7||RTS - connected to pin 8|
|8||CTS - connected to pin 7|
So any one-to-one connector / cable works: The transmit and receive lines are not crosslinked ⟹ so it's not a null modem connection!
The serial port parameters should be set as follows:
|Baud Rate (as set on device)||Data Bits||Parity||Stop Bits|
|4800, 9600 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200||8||None||1|
\r\n or hex 0x0D and 0x0A. Annoyingly you must set the line ending again and again regularly when using Quantum Composers' tool QC Comm Terminal via Tools → Comm Properties → Termination String and entering
0D,0A as termination symbol.
Here are some commands from the manual (you may omit lowercase letters):
:PULSE1:STATE?will query the current status on channel A
> :SYSTEM:STATE? 0 > :SYSTEM:VERSION? Ser# 03097 > :SYSTEM:SERN? Ser# 03097 > :DISPLAY:BRIGHTNESS? 2
Beep for a second:
> :SYSTEM:BEEPER:VOLUME 100 ok > :SYSTEM:BEEPER:STATE 1 ok > ... wait one second... > :SYSTEM:BEEPER:STATE 0 ok
Unknown commands are answered like this:
> :DISPLAY:KLOCK? ?3
Normal External Trigger Operation
Connect a BNC cable with your trigger signal to the EXT/GATE connector. Then connect any channel (A,B,C,D) to your experiment to use as a delayed pulse.
Now set up the system:
- FUNCTION + MODE → Single Shot.
- FUNCTION + GATE/TRIG key → EXTin: Triggered, level voltage: ~ 50 % of max. trigger amplitude (You may also adjust if a rising or falling edge will trigger a pulse.)
- Channel A → Set Pulse Width and Delay (the other options should be set as follows: Sync sources: T_0, Mode: Normal, Gate: Disabled)
- RUN/STOP → start the instrument.
The width of your pulses and the delay can be set as small as single nano seconds.
- Product line site: http://www.quantumcomposers.com/item/9500-series.html
- 9500+ Manual 2011-05-10: http://www.quantumcomposers.com/item/9500-manual.html?category_id=64
- 9500+ Menu Structure Programming Guide 2011-04-20: http://www.quantumcomposers.com/item/9500-menu-structure-programming-guide.html?category_id=22
- LabView drivers (and USB drivers for devices built before 4/2011): http://www.quantumcomposers.com/category/drivers.html
- 9500+ & 9600+ Datasheet: http://www.quantumcomposers.com/item/9500-9600-datasheet.html?category_id=65
- LabView drivers: http://www.quantumcomposers.com/item/labview-drivers-3.html