The Canon Rebel T3, in Europe called EOS 1100D is the entrance level digital SLR camera from Canon. The kit comes with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lens.
The kit includes
- EOS Rebel T3 Body
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens
- Eyecup Ef (not shown)
- Wide Strap EW-200DB
- Interface Cable IFC-130U
- Battery Pack LP-E10
- Battery Charger LC-E10
- EOS Digital Solution Disk and Instruction Manuals "Great Photography is Easy" Booklet and "Do More with Macro" Booklet (not shown)
EOS 1100D – key features (from dpreview.com)
- Superior 12-megapixel image quality
- On-screen Feature Guide
- Creative Auto and Basic+
- HD video capture
- ISO 100-6400 sensitivity
- Wide-area 9-point AF system
- 63-zone iFCL exposure metering
- 6.8cm (2.7"), 230,000-dot screen
- Use with all EF and EF-S lenses
Technical Details (from Amazon.com)
- 12.2 MP CMOS sensor and DIGIC 4 Image Processor for high image quality and speed.
- ISO 100 - 6400 for shooting from bright to dim light.
- Improved EOS HD Movie mode with expanded recording and with in-camera video editing options.
- High speed, reliable 9-point AF system utilizing a high precision, f/5.6 cross-type center point.
- Enhanced metering with a 63-zone, Dual-layer metering system for accurate metering between exposures.
- 2.7-inch TFT color LCD; Built-in flash; HD movie mode at 1280 x 720 resolution
- Auto Focus; Dual-layer metering sensor with 73 zones; Basic+ function; Creative Auto mode; In-camera Feature Guide
- Compatible with full line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses
- Includes EOS Rebel T3 digital SLR camera and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens; 12 megapixel CMOS sensor; Eye-level SLR viewfinder
- USB 2.0 terminal; HDMI mini out terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable; SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot (card not included)
More Technical Details
- Brand Name: Canon
- Model: REBEL T3 BLACK
- Optical Sensor Resolution: 12 MP
- Optical Sensor Technology: CMOS
- Optical Sensor Size: 14.7 x 22mm
- Included Flash Type: Pop-up flash
- Display Size: 2.7
- Light Sensitivity: ISO 100-6400, ISO auto (100-6400)
- Image types: JPEG, RAW
- Shooting Modes: Frame movie mode
- Viewfinder Type: Optical
- Width: 5.1 inches
- Depth: 3.1 inches
- Height: 3.9 inches
- Weight: 17.5 Ounces
What I think about the camera
- Usually you don't want to use ISO > 1600
- No audio jack for external mics when recording video (compared to the Canon Rebel T3i)
- The plastic body is missing the textured hand grip from higher models and feels cheap.
- The sensor has the APS-C format (negatives of APS-C had the dimensions 25.1mm × 16.7mm). The Rebel T3 has, however, only 22.2mm x 14.8mm. This is 21.6% less area. The crop factor for lenses is thus 1.6.
All my lenses have a filter diameter of 58 mm including the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II that came with the kit.
- AC Adapter Kit ACK-E10
- Compact Power Adapter CA-PS700A
- Canon Battery Charger LC-E10
- Canon Battery Pack LP-E10 (non-original replacement costs ~ 15 USD)
- Canon Remote Switch RS-60E3
- Hand Strap E2
- Dioptric Adjustment Lens E (from -4 to +2)
- EYEPIECE EP-EX15 II
- 58mm Circular Polarizer PL-CB
- 58mm Filter UV Protector
- Gelatin Filter Holder Adapter IV 58
- Gelatin Filter Holder Adapter III 58
- Rubber Frame EF
- Eyecup Ef
Magic Lantern Firmware: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/1100D
(The Canon Hack Development Kit only works with PowerShot cameras.)
Now that I own the camera for 1 and 1/2 years, I had some problems with dust on the sensor. I think I should check this blog post on cleaning.